It all started to innocently! K-Line said she wanted to make socks, I challenged her to start in a week, and she took me up on it… and then the power went straight to my head!
When Pretty Greivances causally mentioned she’d like to have a basic TNT that she could spice up with her trademark prints, I threw down the gauntlet: Make 3 tunics from one pattern! She came right back with a dare for me: Mix prints! She also told me that my first options were “something a grownup would choose”, so clearly I need to raise the bar! (Edited: **Dare Completed!** 3 great tops have been made!)
And then I started daring everyone! Now here I am, spending my evening daring strangers to sew things… and having a hell of a lot of fun, so I regret nothing!
Here are the dares so far:
- Sew Busy Lizzy:
Hack a favourite pattern into something new. She’s going to make the Maria of Denmark Day/Night Cowl into a dress, and I know it will be fab!**Dare completed!** But wait! There’s more! One dare was not enough! She’s going to make a bathing suit AND an outfit for her trip to London! That’s bravery!
- Unique Schmuck:
Oanh is going to make two sundresses from the same pattern, at the same time!**Dare Completed!** Two lovely dresses finished!
- Three Dresses Project:
Leila is going to (gasp!) use a pattern more than once!**Dare Completed!** In fact, she made multiples of 3 different patterns! :)
- Sew Exhausted
makes beautiful things for her family - Now she’s been dared to make something nice for herself!**Dare Completed!**
- Handmade by Heather B: Heather is going to make something flirtatious for going out/events. Va-va-voom!
- Hot Mess Heifer is going to make not 1, not 2, but 3 t-shirts! (She already had one cut out - Head start!)
- Seamless’ Elena has been dared by SewBusyLizzy to make one dress for work, and style it 4 ways!
has been dared to be social on Twitter every day for a week.**Dare Completed!** @grainlinestudio was a busy tweeter!
- Clare from SewDixieLou: Make an everyday, “signature” dress from her vintage stash
- Inge from IngeMaat: Remake one of her least “Top 5 Fails” from 2012 into something (anything!) that she loves or is useful.
- Bimble and Pimple: Amanda make a plain single-colour dress! (I trust she will still make it fun though, with texture or shape or trim or something!)
- Notches and Notions:
Make something using at least 1 of the giant buttons she accidentally ordered for another project**Dare Completed**
- Maria of Denmark:
Make fun underwear and some lounge pants!**Dare Completed!**
- House of Pinheiro
is going to make a loose-fitting top - with Maria of Denmark’s Kimono Tee PDF pattern to boot!**Dare Completed!**
is going to start a blog!**Dare Completed!** Go check our her lovely new blog!
- PunkMik is going to make something from Gertie’s book - work appropriate for her new job! :)
- Chris Lucas is going to make herself a cute high-waisted pencil skirt!
- Sown Brooklyn will make something designed/drawn by one of her kids!
- Ginger Makes is going to bite the bullet and make a bodice sloper!
- Erin at Dog Under My Desk is going to sew a t-shirt! (You won’t regret it - T-shirts are my favourite sewing project!)
- Amity Originals is going to make trousers! (Brave woman!)
- Suzy Sewing is going to do two dares: Make a t-shirt AND use a croquis for sketching dress designs.
- My awesomesauce sister Anne is a dye-hard knitter (See what I did there? Hahaha - puns.) She’s going to design and co-sew a knitting project bag! She’s started with a Pinterest board full of ideas…
- OonaBallona has accepted a dare from GingerMakes and SownBrooklyn to make her dear husband a shirt! Will there be vibrant spandex leggings to match?
- In return, Oona has challenge ME to make a maxi dress - out of Liberty Lifestyle? Eeek!
- Buzy Lizzie in Brizzy is going to make a vintage shirtdress!
- Buckingham Road has accepted two dares: Make something out of knit, and make pants, a skirt or a dress to go with her fantastic Cordova Jacket!
- Thewallinna gave herself a serious challenge: Finish her couture dress by January 20th!
- Falling Through Your Clothes has too much in her stash (poor woman! :P) so she is going to use one piece to sew something for herself, and give away another piece or use it to sew for someone else!
- Made with Hugs and Kisses is in training to be a teacher, so I’ve dared her to sew an interview dress!
- Sew and So
is making #onedresstorulethemall - her wedding dress! meanwhile, she’s been dared to join twitter and post a list of things she’ll make once the wedding dress is done!**Dare Completed!** Well done!
Here are the official Sewing Dare Rules:
- Have fun. Stop if it is not fun.
- There is no rush - Do your dare whenever you want!
- Did I mention to have fun?
Get the graphic yourself, and start sewing/blogging/daring more sewists!
(ps. Oh yeah - Fair warning: My initial dare to K-Line is driving her nuts! Why did I think it was smart to dare more people?)
(pps. K-Line is *almost* enjoying sock-making now! My faith in dares is restored.)